A middle-aged electrician at Unity Estate, Aregbe, Abeokuta, Ogun State capital, was electrocuted on Tuesday while helping his neighbour fix an electrical fault.
The Police Public Relations Officer of the Ogun State Command, SP Omolola Odutola, confirmed the incident and said that she would soon issue a statement on the incident.
It was gathered that one Elijah of Unity Estate, Aregbe area of Obantoko, Odeda local government area of Ogun State, had engaged the service of an electrician to help rectify an electric fault.
Our correspondent learnt that there was an outage at the time the electrician climbed the electrical pole, but while he was in the middle of the task, power was restored.
A source in the community said residents fled in the ensuing panic, adding that the incident was reported at Aregbe Police Station.
The source said, “He was an electrician who was engaged to help with repairs of electrical fault in Mr Elijah’s house. He has been the one assisting in fixing faults when IBEDC men were not around.
“There was no electricity before he started the connection. But while he was on it, power was restored. He was electrocuted. Those around initially fled, but later Mr Elijah went to Aregbe Police Station to report, before the Community Development Association members joined him.”