The Edo State Commissioner for Communication and Orientation, Chris Nehikhare, on Monday said that six more of the 31 victims kidnapped at the Igueben train station have been rescued.
Nehikhare disclosed this at a press briefing in Benin City, the state capital, adding that two more suspects on the wanted list of the police had been arrested.
According to him, there was an ongoing investigation to determine their culpability in the kidnap incident.
He said, “Six people have been rescued in the last 24 hours. Those who were rescued include a 65-year-old man; a nursing mother and her baby; a six-year-old girl and two siblings – a boy and a girl aged between two and five years old.
“These six persons have been rescued and our security forces have continued with the bush combing to arrest other fleeing members of the kidnap gang. I want to reassure Edo people that the government is taking this matter seriously, ensuring that the state is safe for Edo people.
“We are asking for information that will lead to the arrest of other kidnappers. Two other suspects have been arrested for their involvement in the kidnapping in Edo Central as they were formerly declared wanted by the police. They are in custody helping the police with relevant information that will lead to the arrest of other members of the gang.”
Nehikhare further noted, “This is a sensitive matter and we need to keep the press and the people abreast of the current situation. I get clearance from security agencies before briefing the press on this issue so as not to compromise their investigation. I’m also appealing to Edo people to help with information that will unravel this kidnap incident.”
The Commissioner reassured the families of the victims that the Edo State Government was taking the matter seriously, adding, “We have cordoned off a huge part of the forest as no one knows the forest better than our hunters and security agencies. The bush combing operation is ongoing and I am confident that very soon all those kidnapped will be rescued.”